Loch Lomond/West Highland Way - 26-29 May (late bank hol)

Updates on planned weekends and discuss travel/accomodation arrangements for Weekends Away.

Moderators: Paul C, edinetz

Forum rules
Feel free to browse our upcoming weekends, but note that you need to be a member of the Metropolitan Walkers to attend one of these weekends. Please state your membership number when you sign up.

Loch Lomond/West Highland Way - 26-29 May (late bank hol)

Postby AndrewT » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:35 pm

LOCH LOMOND / WEST HIGHLAND WAY - 26-29 May 2017

A group of Met Walkers are tackling the West Highland Way (and the odd surrounding mountain) in late May, starting over the second Bank Holiday weekend. By popular(!) request it is possible to join for the southern part of this as a weekend away. This will provide 4 walks in the Loch Lomond area.

Individual walks are moderate with some strenuous bits, and of course all linear so you need to be up for walking all the days. Our main luggage will be carried by a transfer service allowing for day packs only.

WALKS PLAN
Friday 26 May (take day off) - Milngavie to Drymen, 12 miles, easy/moderate start, under 300m ascent.
Saturday 27 - Conic Hill & Loch Lomond banks I - to Rowardennan, 15 miles, 700m ascent (moderate-hilly)
Sunday 28 - Loch Lomond banks II - to Inverarnan, 13 miles, 650m ascent (moderate-strenuous, tough terrain in places)
Monday 29 (Bank Holiday) - Falls and Glens - to Tyndrum (has train station), 12 miles, 600m ascent, moderate (potential break-point at 6 miles). Finish on time for trains home, see below.

For more details see the official website http://www.west-highland-way.co.uk

BAG CARRYING
The bag company is charging a special rate of £20 for those doing 4 days only. A deposit is not required but I'll need the details of where you're staying to arrange, and payment on the day. Bags will be delivered to Tyndrum by 2-3pm on the Monday to allow those who need to catch trains to do so.

TRAVEL UP
Suggestion is to get Thursday night sleeper train (leaves 11.45pm) arriving into Glasgow on the morning of Friday 26 May 07:18 (can be booked online now, http://www.sleeper.scot), from there get a local train to Milngavie (30 minutes). The start of walks will be timed to allow this. Alternatively there are day trains and flights available after work on Thursday, then stay in Glasgow area overnight. Day trains not available to book yet.

TRAVEL BACK

• The Highland Sleeper starts in Fort William, passes through Upper Tyndrum at 21:53, gets to Euston at 09:01. This is getting expensive however especially for a bed.
  • Possibly better option: The current timetable has a train at Tyndrum Lower 15:45 getting to Glasgow 17:48 (may change a little, booking not yet open)
    • From there connect to a flight or the LOWLAND sleeper, Glasgow Central 21:44 arrives 07:46.
    • Late flights from Glasgow are 20:45 Easyjet to Luton; 20:50 Ryanair to Stanstead; 21:05 Easyjet to Gatwick; 21:05 BA to Heathrow

If behind schedule on Monday there is a village after 6 miles of Monday's walk from which a taxi could be called.

ACCOMMODATION
To come on this weekend you'll need to book accommodation in 3 places. Full details provided on application. I will attempt to pair people off who want room-mates (or post below).

Night of Fri 26th - Drymen - we're using bunkrooms in a B&B (I paid £30pp). They may have space in further bunkrooms or there are lots of B&Bs locally (slightly more £)
Sat 27th - Rowardennan - using youth hostel, can see availability and book online, according to website they have plenty space in shared+private rooms, from £22pp. Please book meals+packed lunch. Alternative hotel nearby.
Sun 28th - Inverarnan - using camping cabins, which are now full. The same site has B&B rooms or there is another Inn nearby.

Finally...
If you are interested in this weekend please contact Andrew - andrewtorrance@cantab.net. Please ensure you're a paid up member and are comfortable doing moderate/strenuous walks on consecutive days. If unsure please attend some weekend walks!
AndrewT

Re: Loch Lomond/West Highland Way - 26-29 May (late bank hol

Postby AndrewT » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:15 am

Accommodation Update
last updated 18 Feb

Overall status: accommodations are close to full.

Fri 26th (Drymen)
  • Kip in the Kirk) is now FULL
  • Several other B&Bs in the village.

Sat 27th (Rowardennan)
  • SYHA website says "Call hostel for availability".
  • Nearby B&Bs may offer transport to/from, however are also looking pretty full.

Sun 28th (Inverarnan)
  • Beinglas is FULL
  • Alternatives: Drovers Inn, Ardlui Hotel
  • Please see room sharing offers below

Ardlui is just over the loch but has an on-demand boat service.

A list of some accommodation can be found at http://www.west-highland-way.co.uk/walkingtheway.asp

If you have a Twin room you'd like to share please post here so people know.
Last edited by AndrewT on Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.
AndrewT

Postby manuelstarr » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:48 pm

UPDATED re sharing of rooms - I've changed my room booking at the Ardlui Hotel to a booking for a large walker's bothy (sleeps up to 5) on their campsite.

If anyone would like to share then let me know. Cost is £60 total for the bothy for one night with 1-4 people sharing, £70 for the night if 5 sharing.

Thanks,

Manuel
Last edited by manuelstarr on Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
manuelstarr

Postby CathyJ » Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:12 am

Hello,
Also, re room sharing: if anyone would like to share a twin room and/or pod with me, I've booked the following:
Drymen: Lander b&b, £30.00 per person
Inverarnan: Ardlui (over the loch), camping pod: http://www.ardlui.com/holidayPark/camping.aspx (sleeping bag required), £17.50 per person
Thanks,
Cathy
[I tried a 'test' reply which didn't seem to work, but you can also find me on the Group fb page @Cathy Jacob]
CathyJ

Postby randonneur1983 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:45 pm

Evening all,
Hope you are well.
I have booked a twin room at the Drovers Inn for the third night.
The cost is £49 per person if someone is short on accommodation and would like to share?
Perhaps send me a PM if interested.
Kind regards
Chris
randonneur1983

Return to Away Weekends