We run several weekends away each year, to areas all around the UK and beyond.
Many of the trips offer tough, mountainous walking in places such as the Scottish Highlands, the Lake District, or Wales. But we organise plenty of less challenging weekends as well, often within easy reach of London, without the need to take time off work – examples include the Cotswolds and Dorset.
We’ve also had several trips abroad – Norway, the Alps, Poland and Portugal have all featured in our weekends away programme, as have city breaks to Amsterdam, Luxembourg and Paris, to name a few!
What you need to know
- We recommend that you come on at least one of our normal day walks before signing up for a weekend away.
- All weekend trips are open to members only, and you need to let the leader know in advance that you’re coming. Sometimes you may be asked to pay a modest, non-refundable deposit when you sign up for a trip, to cover organising expenses such as bus hire for transport to the walk start, or pre-arranged social events.
- In order to maximise the number of events we can run, leaders usually do not arrange accommodation or transport from London, so you need to do that yourself. However, the locations we visit are normally readily accessible by public transport, and there are usually plenty of options for accommodation.
- Many of our walks are in remote and rugged mountain terrain, so good walking boots and other equipment is essential.
- Owing to the success of the weekends away programme, we sometimes end up booking up a large proportion of the accommodation in the places we visit, especially the single rooms. To avoid disappointment, we strongly recommend you book your accommodation and transport well in advance.
Find out more
Weekends away are advertised in advance on our message boards. The message boards can be viewed by anyone, but you will need to register in order to post a message. When registering, you will need to use your Ramblers membership number and the registration code from the current PDF walks programme, which is emailed to members every three months.